This July was our 5th summer getting together for a Barnard reunion.
It's not huge--It's just John's parents, his 3 sisters, and our families.
There are 21 of us:
10 adults and 11 kids.
The oldest of the kids is 9.
Plus 5 dogs.
Actually, we get to see each other often anyway,
but there is nothing like setting aside 4 days--
to do nothing but be together!
Here my kids are on a very early-morning visit to grandma's deck-swing the first morning there. The kids had a total party day with Grandma and Leslie. They played games, went swimming, had a treasure hunt, did crafts, and who knows what other activities...all day long.
Most of the adults, us included, went to Lagoon that day.
We had such a great time! And may I say, I really love Wicked!!!
The only bad part: I lost John's cell phone. When I had insisted on carrying it because I thought HE would lose it. hmmmm.
But it was a good day...in fact, as we (Dave, Erin, John, me, Krista, Jason) twisted down the rattlesnake rapids ride...screaming, laughing, and getting soaked...I had a little moment where I just felt pure gratitude, (and water,) head-to-toe, for such a fun family. I really love all of my in-laws so much!
I feel like I really lucked out in that department.
Joan was in charge of the reunion this year and had a full schedule of fun events planned for each day. She did a great job coming up with a variety of activities. Here is story time with Grandma Joan "Everybody Needs a Rock" by Byrd Baylor. Of course they had to go find just the right rock after that... Each kid took at least one (some a lot more!) home, as a keepsake from the trip.
We spent almost half the time at Paul and Joan's cabin. It is in the middle of a serene forest, 22 acres of pretty land and one little cabin are theirs, and ours to enjoy too! They've just had the cabin a couple of years and it's always a good time to go there. Here's Krista & Jason, right in their element. They are the campy-est out of everyone, I think. They show us how it's done. And look how cute they are in the process! We especially enjoy the time with them, since they live the farthest away (Boise) and we don't see them as often.
Piles of crazy kids, all in one tent. Pure childhood joy!
John showed off his Dutch Oven skills on our cooking night. Each couple took turns being in charge of meals. We made steaks, chicken, potatoes and cobbler on our night. I helped too, but of course he is the one with the skills.
(you should have seen how dirty that water was afterward!!!!)
.....and soon it was all the grandkids, boys and girls alike, enjoying the pampering. And who can blame them? Who does not like to be pampered, honestly!?
Maggie certainly enjoyed it!
* * * * * *
Other noteworthy reunion happenings:
- On the 2nd day we rented paddle boats and canoes and explored the "ice pond" in Evanston. I got soaked, again.
- We had a grown-up night where we got babysitters and went to dinner (yummy mexican) & watched a movie (The Simpson's Movie) together.
- We taught John's fam how to play the Great Dalmuti--always a good time.
- At the cabin, John & I got the only real bed. Out of 21 people! I am still not sure how/why that happened! But I wasn't complaining...
- Dave had an epiphany about being thin... it was something about the combination of avoiding pork products and stopping when you are full. Definitely something to think about.
- We had 5 dogs with us in the mountains! Kasha, Pogi, Daphne, Shaggy, and Rosebud. They were all very dirty, but very well-behaved dogs.
All too soon the 4 days were over and now another Barnard Reunion is on the books. It was a good one!
Thank you so much for planning it Joan!!!
5 comments:
that looks like so much fun!
It really does sound like so much fun. I love the spa time. What a cute idea.
i'd like to experience those dutch oven skills firsthand.
Sounds like a blast!! What a fun family you have!!
That sounds like a blast! I love the spa time. We do that when we go camping. Fun times. I have been wanting to go to Lagoon so bad-I'm glad you had a fun time.
Post a Comment